Located right on the Market Square in the city centre at the Solingen-Mitte bus station, the residence and business premises built by Julius Tückmantel in 1892 dominates the city landscape. It is one of the last listed buildings in Solingen’s town centre to withstand the air raids of the Second World War.
The new owner, Siegfried Lapawa, began in 2008 with the extensive measures necessary for its structural restoration without heed of the costs. The facade and the roof were restored to their original condition, true to the original and with attention to detail. Retail premises along with offices, doctors’ and dentist’s surgeries and residential units will appear on the ground floor here, in compliance with the listed status yet modern, and on the upper floors there will be high-quality premises with various floor-plans. In the course of the restoration and adjacent to the traditional house, a modern extension with natural stone facade and lots of glass will replace a dilapidated office building.
Completion of the whole project is planned for as soon as the end of the year.